Friday, March 30, 2012

New sport for dogs?

I always try to warn the local wildlife/pets that find their way into my yard. Squirrels, birds, cats... they like to lounge around in the grass.  Honestly, I don't know why we get all the neighborhood cats either.  We pick up dog waste immediately and have sealed garbage cans, yet one day I went out back and found four - yes FOUR - cats napping in the yard.

Come to my house and THIS is what awaits you.
Anyway, like I said, if I'm taking the dogs outside, I'll try to shoo everyone away by knocking on the door, call out the windows, etc... until they all reach safety.  Not that they've ever caught one of the visitors without divine intervention or would even know what to do if they caught one.  Still, I don't want to take the chance and/or worry that one could be sick.

This approach doesn't always work.


Today, I walked to the door and saw a big fat squirrel sitting under the tree across from the door munching on nuts.  I knocked on the window.  I yelled to him.  All of this was done while Lola was pacing back and forth staring at him/her intently thinking about how tender squirrel flesh must taste... with all the leaves and nuts they eat and all.

He decided not to move.  My attitude was "okay, I warned you."

I opened the door and Lola bolted to the tree as the squirrel scampered up and out of reach.  The pugs were a little slower out of the gate and decided to chase Lola instead of the squirrel since they had NO CHANCE in getting it anyway.  As Lola ran around the tree, the pugs split to catch her from multiple sides.

Here's where it got interesting.

Imagine pug and chihuahua butts and you've got it.
All three ended up colliding head-to-head-to-head.  They looked like a rugby scrum.  

And then they began to move across the yard in the same position.  I wasn't sure if they were all being stubborn and refused to yield to the other dogs or if they just weren't smart enough to back-up and go around each other.  


This was the "smart" dog today.
This went on for a good 10-15 seconds until Lola, the neurotic chihuahua, figured out they were going nowhere.  She backed up allowing the pugs to pass each other and everyone went on their merry way.

I see this as a new sport for dogs in the near future like agility competitions.  

It will certainly be entertaining for the observers.

No comments:

Post a Comment