Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Punching Is Fun

All I'm missing is the beard.
I'm still in a funk, and I've had several days in a row of simply being annoyed with people in general.  This annoyance will be detailed in another post, but today I got a reprieve from the grumpies due to comedy from a surprising source.

Children.







Go ahead.  Tell me to move faster.
I've briefly talked about how I feel about kids on this blog before especially when I run into them out in the wild.  At first I held this group in the same vein.  I was trying to get home with frozen fruit and yogurt in my car (and after drinking a quart of coffee - use the bathroom) when the gaggle of teens and tweens began to cross the road.  They had traffic stopped (legally of course - you're supposed to stop for people in crosswalks) and were milking every... single... second of their stroll across the street.  They were performing for the cars, doing their best impression of what they think cool is.

Now, I happened to pull up as they first stepped out into street and was initially obscured from their view by a large moving truck.  Obscured until they got into the lanes of oncoming traffic.  All of the sudden, one of the young women, who was almost all the way across, turned back and started walking the other direction.  My anger began to simmer.  And then she punched one of her male cohorts square in the shoulder.

This suddenly got interesting.  

There was a VERY brief discussion until she stopped at pointed at me.  My first reaction was "oh crap, I'm about to get beat up by a pack of teens."  But then I realized she was actually pointing at my car.

Something I've failed to mention is that I drive a Volkswagon Beetle or for those of you who play the game a "Slug Bug".  I get much joy out of driving my bug around town.  I frequently see people punching each other in cars and on the street as I drive by.  It's a whole lot of awesome.

SIDE NOTE: The first bug you see in this video is almost the exact same car as mine, but mine is a turbo.  Don't hate me because I'm awesome.


As this group (about 30-40 of them) all turned to look at me, the swinging began.  It was almost like a flash mob but instead of stupid dances or breaking out into a lame song, they burst into acts of violence.  Fists were flying with blows being delivered to all parts of the body.  The girls were sticking to the arms (the appropriate way to play the game) but the boys were getting kidney punches, leg punches and even blows to the face.

The best part was that the pack never stopped moving to the other side of the street.  It was like a Tasmanian Devil cartoon where he is spinning, destroying everything in his path, only an occasional arm or leg visible.


The sad thing is that this is kind of the way they talk too.  Just throw in a few OMGs and eyerolls with the grunting and spitting and you've got your garden variety teenager.

I was laughing so hard I was crying.  I probably should be concerned that violence was what brought me out of my funk today, but I'm going to take joy wherever I can get it right now.

Carry on my internet friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment